Jackfruit ribs are made with wheat gluten, traditional barbecue spices, and tender meaty jackfruit. Whether you make these meatless ribs on your griddle, in the oven, or on your outdoor grill, they’re sure to impress even the pickiest meat eaters! There is no oil in this recipe.
Seitan and jackfruit-based recipes are always made that resemble tender ribs on all levels. By adding jackfruit to the recipe, you can achieve a perfect mixture of texture and moisture.
Made from vital wheat gluten, this high-protein food has a chewy and stringy texture similar to meat. Its fantastic texture and flavor are enhanced when paired with jackfruit. You can prepare Sietan ribs “dough” in advance and store it in the refrigerator until ready to grill the ribs and cover them with bbq sauce.
This large, meaty fruit has a variety of uses.
When eaten ripe, it has a sweet taste similar to mangoes and pineapples, but when picked green, its flavor can be enhanced by any flavors you choose to season it with. There is no difference between this fruit and ‘durian,’ a smaller fruit with a pungent odor similar in shape.
- 20 oz canned green jackfruit (packed in water, not syrup)
- 1 tbsp sweet smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1.25 cups vital wheat gluten + more as needed
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp liquid smoke (optional, only if you want a very smoky flavor)
- sea salt + black pepper to taste (1/2 tsp each)
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 3/4 cups water (or low sodium vegetable stock)
- 3 tbsp tamari or coco aminos
- 1 cup BBQ sauce + more for dipping
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes, or to taste
- Four cloves of garlic, grated
- Two leaves bay
- 1/3 cup fresh chives, for garnish
Ingredients Black Pudding
- 4-cups of freshly squeezed pig’s blood
- 2-1/2 tablespoons of salt
- 1-1/2 cups steel-cut (pinhead) oats
- 2 cups finely diced pig fat (or beef suet),
- coarsely minced
- 2 cups finely sliced bacon
- 1 big yellow onion
- peeled and coarsely diced
- 1 gallon of milk
- freshly ground black pepper (about 1 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon allspice berries (ground)
How To Cook Vegan Ribs in the Oven
- Preheat the oven to 375°F
- Jackfruit should be drained and rinsed well, then boiled for about 20 minutes with a pinch of sea salt and bay leaves. Put the potatoes in a potato masher and mash them, or shred them with a fork. If any parts are tricky, discard them.
- Add the shredded jackfruit, tamari, water (or vegetable stock), and sea salt to a medium bowl and mix well. Once the dough is formed, knead it by hand for about 5 minutes until it holds together nicely. Depending on whether the dough is too wet or too dry, sprinkle a little more wheat gluten or add more water if needed.
- Divide the dough in half crosswise after shaping the loaf into a rectangle about one inch thick.
Methods for grilling and baking:
- A seasoned cast-iron griddle should be heated on medium heat. Approximately 3 minutes should be grilled on each side of the ribs.
- While your baking dish is baking, line it with parchment paper. Put the grilled ribs on top of the barbecue sauce, and then spread it thinly over the top. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes with a thin layer of barbecue sauce on top and covered with aluminum foil (or a lid).
- Rotate the ribs gently by using your tongue. Cover with more barbecue sauce and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Allow the meat to settle for a few minutes before serving. Serve the ribs with mashed potatoes, extra sauce, and fresh chives next to the grill marks and cut using a serrated knife.
An easy way to bake in the oven:
- Alternatively, you can skip the grilling step and bake the ribs instead.
- Place the ribs on the BBQ sauce and brush with more barbecue sauce. Bake for 50 minutes, covered with aluminum foil. Set aside for a few minutes to cool and set before cutting.
The bone-in method is as follows:
- Take bamboo sticks, popsicle sticks, or cinnamon sticks, and soak them for 20 minutes in warm water.
- Then, cut the soaked bones through the dough about an inch apart after the rib mixture has been shaped into a rectangle.
- Place the rib rack on top of some sauce in the bottom of the pan. Pour more barbecue sauce on top, cover with aluminum foil, and let rest for a few minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes.
Check out these steps for how to cook ribs in the oven! These tips are sure to help!